Specials at 9:50 on all days but 3/8
Specials at 9:50
8:55 - 9:45
Return to the Top
- Your child’s regular and prompt attendance at school is crucial to his/her success. I can’t emphasize this point enough. Most learning activities are group oriented and involve interaction with classmates. Therefore, it is next to impossible to make up work at home. Please view school as a priority, and see to it that your child attends everyday except in cases of illness or emergency. If your child is going to be absent please call Prairie Wind School at (402) 491-0859 and leave a message with our school secretaries, Mrs. Hall or Mrs. Binkerd. When a child is absent,and the school has not been notified by a parent/guardian, the school secretaries will attempt to contact a parent/guardian by telephone.
- The first bell rings at 8:35 am. Students will not be able to enter the building until then. The second bell rings at 8:50. At this time students need to be in the classroom. If a student is tardy, they must go to the office to receive a tardy admit from Mrs. Hall or Mrs. Binkerd. If a student will be leaving early, they will not be dismissed from the classroom until their parent/guardian comes into the front office and signs them out, at that time the school secretaries will buzz the classroom to dismiss the child.
- Birthday treats are no longer a positive way to share your child's special day, with the class. We now ask that you send pencils, toys, or something else that the entire class can enjoy. Out of respect towards the students who have health concerns, we have decided, as a school, that we are nolonger going to celebrate with food. We also ask that invitations for birthday parties be handed out outside of the school setting. This helps to eliminate hurt feelings.
- Go to cafeteria in morning. Breakfast starts at 8:20 am. All Prairie Wind students eat for free. You may join your child for breakfast, but if you choose to eat, you must purchase your meal. After you drop off your backpack, at an empty lunch table to the right, you may go get your tray by lining up on the left side of the cafeteria. Get napkin and fork. Hold your tray with both hands to prevent dropping your milk. Go to assigned table with other students. Eat your meal without playing. Visit with neighbor quietly. Empty your tray when you are finished and then go to the gym. Wait in the Kindergarten line and the Kindergarten para will come get you to go to classroom. If your child eats breakfast at home they may line up at the Kindergarten playground, located at the East side of the school. The classroom para from our classroom or a fellow kindergarten classroom, will come and get them each morning.
Return to the Top
- We will be eating lunch at 12:45 to 1:30. We do eat snack. If you would like to donate a classroom snack, we would greatly appreciate any prepackaged food item, otherwise please allow your child to bring something to snack on each day. I will send home reminders, in the monthly newsletter, when we begin to run low.
- Your child may bring a cold lunch or buy a hot lunch for $1.45. You may also eat lunch with your child if you wish. You may purchase a lunch at the adult price of $3.10. Please meet us at the cafeteria, after checking in at the office.
- Recess will be after lunch, the classroom Para will take the children outside and I will join them when I finish my lunch. The children will be going out for recess everyday unless it is raining or the temperature is below 20. Please keep this in mind when helping your child select clothing for the day. Also, we are fortunate to have a variety of playground equipment, including several pieces for climbing. Please keep this in mind when selecting shoes. Cowboy boots and little girl’s dress shoes are less than ideal if your child chooses to play on this equipment. Also, these shoes tend to be slippery on days when the concrete is wet. For the most part, if your child is well enough to be at school, he/she is well enough to participate in outdoor recess, if dressed appropriately. However, on those occasions when you feel it is best for your child to stay indoors, please send a written note and I will make arrangements for your child to do so.
- The school lunch menus are sent home but you can also view them on-line. To get to the current district menu click here: District Menu.
-Students are dismissed from school at 4:05 PM. Students who ride the bus, a daycare van, or go to Kid's Club, will be taken down to the gym and cafeteria by the classroom teacher. Students who get picked up, walk home, or get picked up by their parents, will be waiting at the Kindergarten Playground, with me, until an adult or older sibling arrives to pick them up. Students may leave school alone, but are encouraged to walk home in groups. Please do not hang out around the school after dismissal, it is important for you to go straight home.
- If you plan to pick up a child that normally rides the bus or you wish for your child to ride a different bus than usual, you must send a written note. Please do not rely on your child to tell me this information, because children often become confused and relay messages incorrectly. If no written note is received, your child will be sent home by his/her usual method of transportation.
- Your child will be bringing home "homework" on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. I know life is busy, so I generally try to reserve Wednesdays and Fridays for family time. Every assignment that is given is to be written on the back assignment board and the class goes over the nightly homework on a daily basis, during the scheduled Agenda time. All homework should be done neatly and in cursive. Math is the only assignment that can be done in print, and must be done in pencil. "Homework" must be turned in on the date due. If a student fails to turn in their homework on time, they will be given a "verbal warning" and stay in for study hall until the assignment is made up. Late notes will be sent home and must be signed, when a student fails to complete an assignment. If a student fails to complete three assignments during a quarter, they will receive a Check Mark Form. If a student fails to complete six assignments during a quarter, they will receive a second Check Mark Form. If a student fails to complete nine assignments during a quarter, they will receive a third Check Mark Form, and they will visit the principal's office. They also will no longer be able to participate in the quarterly citizenship party. I believe that in 5th grade, students should be responsible enough to complete their homework on time. I encourage them to record their homework daily. Please help your child stay organized and check up on their homework every once and a while. If your child does not understand an assignment, or for some other reason, they can't complete the assignment by the due date, I will excuse them from a late note if they have a parent note.
- Every week, your child will be working on a new set of vocabulary words. The words get introduced on Monday. They work on them throughout the week and the vocabulary assignment is due on Wednesday. Students will receive it back on Thursday, the next day, so that they may review for Friday's test. Also, students will be taking a Unit test, after each five Basil stories. These tests are an overall review of the five lessons. Your child needs to practice reading these words at home. These words are also listed below. Click on the picture, below the month you wish to view. If you would like to return to the top, click on the "Return to the Top" link, to take you back up to the main menu.
- These words can also be found on this website, under the Vocabulary Words page. Click on the blue Vocabulary Word link to take you to that page now, if you wish.
- Book order forms will be sent home once a month. Cash and checks are accepted. Checks are to be made out to Scholastic. Please put money and book order in one envelope with the child's name on the front. Although book orders are not required, they are an inexpensive way to reinforce what we are learning in the classroom. The due dates will always be the 15th of the month, or the following Monday, if the 15th is on the weekend.